2016 was the year the world imploded. Trump. Brexit. Probably some other things too. At least that’s how it seemed at the time to a bourgeois semi-progressive like me.
2017 was actually better than expected. Not so many celebrities died. No nuclear war. about as many terror attacks as the trend. It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as many people said or believed it would be.
2017 has been a bit of a neutral year for me too. It’s a year in which I’ve worked incredibly hard on a huge number of distractions, got quite tired, and ended up pretty much where I started. Older. A bit more experienced. A few more dead brain cells. Not so much drinking as some years before.
And I managed to pay off my student loan with money I’ve inherited, so that’s a big “yay!”
It’s also been great fun. I’ve met a lot of new people, made new games, recorded my own advert, written quite a few articles and one or two short stories.
In the spirit of renewal, here are nine 2018 resolutions:
- Pursue and make progress towards realistic career goals. (Sorry my idealistic friends/past Mungo)
- Sing more.
- Slow down with side projects.
- Meet new and delightful people.
- Go somewhere sunny with someone I’ve never gone on holiday before.
- Make side projects into intrinsic fun, not alternative-career stressgasms.
- There is no ninth resolution. This is a lie.